About the JMU Alumni Association
The JMU Alumni Association is comprised of all graduates of the university and all individuals who have completed 12 credit hours.
The association is directed by the Alumni Board of Directors, an executive committee, and representatives from the JMU Board of Visitors and the Student Alumni Association. The board represents the interests of all graduates by reviewing and setting the strategy for the association.
The Office of Alumni Relations serves as the daily working arm of the association, executing the strategies of the Board of Directors, as well as annual programming and outreach.
JMU Alumni Map
To engage alumni and cultivate involvement and investment in James Madison University.
The JMU Alumni Association strategic plan is made available to all alumni. Download a PDF of the current plan here.
History of the JMU Alumni Association
James Madison University was founded in 1908. The first students enrolled in 1909, at what was then called the Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg. Three years later, in 1911, the first-ever commencement ceremonies were held with 20 women receiving degrees. That same year, on June 13, those 20 women founded and organized the Alumnae Association. Since then, the University has undergone many transformations including several name changes. In 1953 the Alumnae Association became known as the Alumni Association to reflect the growing number of men graduating from JMU. From the original 20 members the Alumni Association has grown to more than 127,000 members. A network of chapters and clubs offer opportunities to stay connected to the university through a variety of events and services that are offered to all alumni.