History of Bluestone Reunions
The earliest mention of an organization featuring James Madison University graduates of fifty years or more was in April of 1973 when Mary Wright Thrasher, class of 1941, wrote a letter to Dr. Ray Sonner. Following this letter, the first annual “Spring Alumni Weekend” took place in April of 1974. This event featured the 50th reunion of the class of 1924 and the reunions of the classes of 1929, 1934, 1939, 1944, and 1949.
May of 1983 marked the first reunion under the current title “Bluestone Society.” At that time, there were nearly 1,500 living alumnae who attended the Harrisonburg State Teachers College from 1908 to 1933. Mary Spitzer Etter, 1934, was instrumental in organizing the “Bluestone Society.” It was created to induct those graduates who were completing their 50th year out of college.
Currently, the Bluestone Society is a part of the Alumni Association of James Madison University. The Bluestone Society exists to recognize the senior alumni of the University, to promote friendship among members of the society, and to foster a continued close association of the members with the university. Membership for the Society is open to anyone who attended James Madison University, Madison College, or the Harrisonburg State Teachers College, and graduated more than fifty years ago. All alumni who graduated 50 or more years ago are automatically in the Society.